Thursday, August 6, 2015

No Costume Required

This is the first blog post I’ve written in a while that isn’t about a costume I’ve made. Before I started blogging about my Wacky Wednesday creations, I blogged about a little bit of everything. Believe me, I’m having fun making something unexpected for each Wednesday’s reveal, but I’m also a little nostalgic for the blog posts that weren’t designed to fall on Wednesdays. So I’m here on (wow!) a Thursday to write a little about all the other stuff that isn’t Wednesday-esque.

It may be a little cliché to go here, but I’ll do it anyway: summer is going by way too fast. Sure, the days may be longer (in terms of daylight hours) but somehow they are passing faster than the short winter days. Not fair. Now, where do I submit my complaint form?

Summer is such a wonderful reprieve from the fast-paced school year. I love having a break from my post as Homework Cop. It’s a relief not having to scramble each morning to get the kids off to school. Summer means fewer rules. More freedom.

Of course, there is a downside to summer (it’s small but I’m trying to give time to both sides of this debate). With the kiddos around more, they’re arguing more. The older two appear to be trying to break a world record for how many sibling arguments can be had in a 24 hour period. There have been a few complaints about being bored--but apparently they’re not bored enough to clean the house (which is my go-to comeback). How convenient. The oldest seems to grow noticeably overnight. Welcome to the ‘tweenage years.

Summer is…

…reunions with friends we haven’t seen in a year.

…watching things grow at the community garden.

…hearing crickets chirp at night through the open windows.

…nectarines, berries and other seasonal fruit.

…no book reports.

…hearing the shrieks of happiness from my kids as they splash in my friend Angela’s pool.

…sunflowers taller than NBA players.

Of course, you can’t abandon reality completely in summer. The laundry still piles up. The weeds continue to grow at warp speed. But this season is still hard to beat, in my book.

What’s your favorite part of summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment