Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wacky Wednesday #50—Easter Eggs


Easter is this Sunday and today I am a walking, talking Easter egg hunt.

Kids all over the world will search for Easter eggs in a few days and since I’m a kid at heart I may join in the hunt!
 


 

It gave me a boost to create this costume because spring colors, like these Easter eggs, are so cheerful: full of life and color. Spring is a season of new life and the spring colors are pure joy, from dyed eggs to blooming flowers in all shades of the rainbow. Color is an instant mood boost and this costume put me in a great mood.

The lime green fabric I used for dress and grass is the same fabric my adorable neighbor gave me last month, which became my green eggs and ham hat three weeks ago. (If you thought it looked familiar you were not imagining things…) The Easter eggs are ones I’ve had for years, ones we use each year during egg hunts, then stash back in the garage until the following spring. I made a few colorful eggs out of felt because the back of my dress needed eggs too, but I decided that sitting on breakable plastic eggs would not contribute to my happy vibe.
 
This outfit was made mostly from things I already had: chicken wire for my hat’s structure, felt and plastic Easter eggs. The dress fabric was given to me, as were the beads for my sunglasses (I thought the beads looked a little like Easter eggs). I did buy a few more Easter eggs and some hot glue sticks, but the total cost to make this was $5. A lot of people seemed to like this costume and I’d say it was worth every penny to share some cheer with my community.
 
As I think about Easter eggs, I remember egg hunts I went to as a child. Believe it or not, I was a very shy kid when I was young. I got over that when I hit double digits but I remember the egg hunts I attended in my single digit years. I wasn’t an aggressive kid who raced for the eggs with the killer instinct of a hard core competitor. This meant that I ended up with very few eggs! It’s okay. My aunts and grandparents made sure I had tons of Easter treats. But it’s funny to remember how cautious my egg-hunting approach was. Hunting for eggs is a fun activity and it makes me happy just to see brightly-colored plastic eggs. These eggs haven’t changed at all since the 80s, when I was a kid, and they instantly transport me back to other egg hunts, and the magic of discovering something hidden in the grass. It’s pure happiness.

Today’s costume is all about the fun of wearing Easter eggs, but I do have other another funny (related) story to share, if anyone’s interested. A few years ago I blogged about my brief experience as a mall Easter Bunny when I was in my twenties. If you need a laugh (and yes, of course you do), here’s the post I wrote four Easters ago about bunny-hood:

Whatever you’re celebrating this season, have a happy spring. May it bring lots of color to your world, fun surprises to your day, and new life to your soul…


 

www.instagram.com/sarahconleyartist

11 comments:

  1. Sarah,I love your Easter costume. You look so festive! Peter Rabbit would love you! Colorful,and beautiful! I also clicked on your experience as Easter Bunny in the mall, when you were in your 20's. The sacrifice you made in wearing that hot bunny suit, was a big one. And the lasting good memories of seeing the Easter Bunny, that you placed in the minds and hearts of those children, is something that they now can call upon, as adults. Precious, and wonderful! A once in a lifetime experience, for you! How many people get to play the Easter Bunny in life? Good job! Love, your Auntie E (the R.T.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it was a fun memory--even if it was a sweaty experience. So glad you liked this one, too...

      Delete
  2. Egg-stravagantly creative and beautiful costume, Sar. Your egg chapeau is especially fresh and charming!
    Awesome!
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Easter colors are so happy, I think...

      Delete
  3. You need to organize an Easter egg hunt for adults! Very cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to organize an Easter egg hunt for adults! Very cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do think we grown ups need fun just as much as kiddos do...

      Delete
  5. Happy Easter! Those Easter sunglasses are epic! 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimmy! Happy Easter to you and yours...

      Delete
  6. What fabric did you use for your dress? Felt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress is some kind of polyester blend, given to me by a former neighbor. I'm sure there are lots of good fabrics that could be used but my reason for choosing this was because it was the right color and the right price (free)!

      Delete