Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Art Store


Things are about to get extra busy for me because Wacky Wednesday is turning into Working Woman Wednesday.

For a couple of years now on Wednesdays I’ve worn costumes that I made from everyday objects. But today I began teaching art to kids on Wednesdays. My feet hurt (despite wearing practical clogs) and my voice is strained, but it went pretty well today.


It’s funny how things come about. This past spring I was feeling like the Wacky Wednesday tradition might be nearing its end. I’ve done it 93 times and I am proud of finding a fun, new idea each week and turning it into wearable art. I want to reach 100 WWs, but I also I wanted to take the summer off to recharge.  

Early this summer, a friend who teaches art told me about an opportunity to teach elementary school kids. And here I am, a few months later, jumping into this new adventure. It would take a lot of energy to create a weekly costume as well as teach so for now my costume Wednesdays are becoming classroom Wednesdays.

Want to see some art from the five classes I taught today? We painted fall trees in all of the classes, and it was amazing for me to see the huge variety in how the kids interpreted the assignment.











Yes, I’ve started taking my multivitamins again. I may need an intravenous drip of Red Bull each week. But I’m excited for the challenge—and because this is new and I want to do an awesome job—I’m nervous, too. To my teacher friends out there, what is your top piece of advice for me?

With this change to my schedule I won’t be blogging weekly right now, but I’ll still post updates on my blog about my adventures in art. And just so we’re clear, I will get to 100 WWs. Wacky Wednesdays won’t be weekly anymore, so it will take a while to reach 100, but I’ll get there. And if anyone wants to take the baton and create the next one hundred wacky costumes, let me know. I still have a giant stash of found objects you can use to create one-of-a-kind costumes! Clear some space in the garage, will you? I’ll bring it over immediately.

10 comments:

  1. I love all the trees! Beautiful!!! The students are very blessed to have you as their teacher. I can't imagine a better person for that job. I hope you enjoy sharing your talent and passion for creative expression with all those open little minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Spring! I appreciate that. I think the kids really did a good job...

      Delete
  2. Their work is great!! And I bet you will be favorite teacher of theirs. They are so luck to have an art teacher. Most kids have only their homeroom teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adri, thank you! Overall they were very enthusiastic and had fun. And I also think that homeroom teachers often do some really great art--in addition to juggling 1000 projects a week...

      Delete
  3. I'm upset I don't get to take your art class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you could teach your own! You're super creative...

      Delete
  4. I love everything about this post! Thank you for sharing their artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, this is exciting! I think you found your niche.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete