Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Wacky Wednesday #96: Sunflowers





Oh, it’s been ages since my last WW (nine months). But during the school year I teach art on Wednesdays so the chances to dress up in my handmade creations are few and far between. (I’m still determined to complete 100, but it’s taking a while!) This summer I had big plans to do at least several WWs. But the weeks have raced by. I’ve had a good summer, hanging out with the kiddos and the hubby, plus dirt-shoveling, weed-pulling, painting, gardening and reading. I also taught two weeks of art camp, so some of my Wednesdays were accounted for already. Still, I’m beyond overdue for another wacky creation!





Why sunflowers? A few months ago I noticed a lot of very tall, beautiful sunflowers in San Diego. Immediately I knew that this would be a super fun Wacky Wednesday theme. Sunflowers are cheerful, colorful summer flowers, and I love the variety in their heights and bright blooms.

I call this a hat but it’s not like it provides protection from the sun or rain, so maybe it’s a head ornament. Either way, it was my favorite part of this costume. I made it with pipe cleaners, felt, hot glue and a plastic knife. Yes, you read that right. I needed something lightweight but rigid to keep the flower from flopping over. 













Did you know that sunflowers symbolize adoration, loyalty and longevity? 

And who knew that the yellow petals and brown centers are actually individual flowers? There are as many as 2,000 flowers in a single sunflower bloom (and up to 2,000 seeds).

The tallest sunflower on record was over 30 feet tall, grown in Germany.

Let’s talk numbers. I always challenge myself to create a costume for as little money as possible.


Tank top and skirt (already had):               $    0
Artificial flowers (99 Cent Store):               $ .99
Felt for flowers and leaves:                       $4.00    
Pipe cleaners for hat:                                $1.00


Total cost:                                                  $5.99





It was such fun to wear my cheery costume all over San Diego today. People kept telling me how much it made them smile, and hey—that’s really a big part of what Wacky Wednesday is about for me.


I hope you enjoyed this costume and that you are having a peaceful summer.

Til next time, this is Wacky Sarah, signing off. If you need me I’ll be outside playing in the dirt…



8 comments:

  1. I like the flower earrings. I have sun flowers in the yard and put liyyle people earrings on them :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raynbow--thanks for the feedback. Your garden inspires me!

      Delete
  2. I really love this costume and I especially like the sunflower earings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the last pic you look like a sunflower Cleopatra queen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very cute!! Sunflowers will always make your day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adri, thanks. I think they are super cheerful, too!

      Delete