Saturday, May 23, 2020

Britto + Balloons = Bright and Brilliant!

Welcome back to another episode of Sarah’s Amazing Art Students. I have two colorful projects to share today: hot air balloon drawings and paintings, and art inspired by the Brazilian artist Britto.  

  

My students started the school year back in September by making colorful hot air balloons. Every grade did them. The youngest ones used crayon because…well, have you ever painted with twenty-four five-year-olds? It’s messy. We do it occasionally, I pull my hair out, we wait a few months until I forget how messy it is, and then we do it again. The older students used watercolor paint for their balloons, and the effects were beautiful. I love all these balloons for how colorful and individual they are. 























Earlier this spring my younger students started a project inspired by the famous artist Romero Britto. Even if you are not familiar with that name, you probably have seen his work. His paintings and sculpture have been exhibited in more than one hundred countries around the world. Britto’s use of bright color and playful motifs and pattern illustrate what is at the core of his art: a desire to share hope and happiness. My students only had one art class to start this project because we did not know that schools would be shut down just a few days later. Most students did not finish that day, so the pieces I have to share here are not necessarily finished. But a few are, and I wanted to show how delightful these young artists’ creations are. The youngest kids colored in coloring pages but slightly older students drew their own animals or faces (frequent subject matter of Britto’s). This would have been so cool to display at our art show. Still, even seeing them online is fun, and I hope you enjoy their spirited creations. 













Thanks for checking out my latest chapter of Adventures in the Art Room. Stay tuned, because more is on the way…


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to Romero Britto! The works the Kids produced are so wonderfully free and unique in so many ways. I fee enormously
    inspired. Thank You for starting my day with Big Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leni, thanks so much. I always love your feedback.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Loved the colors and designs! Very talented students. I am sure they enjoyed doing this project. Such fun and creativity. These students are masters of art! I enjoyed seeing their creations.😃❤✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! Thank you! I love how creative the kiddos are. They really put their hearts into it...

      Delete
  3. These are terrific and SO uplifting!! (both the balloons and the animals) You've made my day - many, many thanks for sharing this wonderful children's art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, wow. Thank you very much! You've made MY day!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the color palettes and textures are amazing...you’ve got some great little artists there! Always a pleasure - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thanks! I think they did a beautiful job and I'm glad you thought so, too...

      Delete
  6. I love all the colors in these projects! Color really can brighten a day. And I learned about Roberto Britto! I like his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adri, I agree: color does so much for our souls. Thanks!

      Delete