Friday, March 28, 2014

Happy Stuff--Artichoke Plant

This is my second Happy Stuff post in two days. It’s too early to say if this makes it a trend or an aberration. But why get sidetracked by definitions? Let’s just go with it.

 
One of the many things I love about participating in a community garden is this: not only do I get to enjoy the surprises my own garden bed produces, but I also get to enjoy surprises that other gardeners planted. Today I checked out someone’s artichoke plant.

(Allow me to add a side note for a minute: I remember the first time I saw an artichoke plant, a few years ago. I had no idea what it was. It looked like a palm tree-in-training with its spiky fronds. When I realized that there was an artichoke growing inside, like a hidden treasure surrounded by a protective moat of leaves, I was shocked! I still marvel that an artichoke requires such a huge plant in order to grow. But hey, I guess the artichoke knows what it’s doing, so who am I to question the size of its plant?!)
 
The wingspan of the plant I saw today was three or four feet, and tucked cozily inside were two artichokes.


It gives me such a high to see things growing...

No comments:

Post a Comment