Sunday, December 20, 2020

On the Twelfth Day of Art Class

Hello, everyone! I made a video of twelve pieces of Christmas art by my students. But I'm new to making videos and I can't get it to embed in this post (too big, I think). So I've posted it on my YouTube channel (yes, the one I made years ago and never did anything with). Make sure you turn up the  sound as there is music. 

For the video, click the link in blue, right here: 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8b1g049Zp0


I also wrote the lyrics below, so warm up those vocal chords and sing along.


It’s a tune most people know, "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (aka “A Partridge in a Pear Tree”):


On the twelfth day of art class

Mrs. Sarah had me draw…

12 ugly Christmas sweaters,

11 Christmas trees,

10 gingerbread houses,

9 happy snowmen,

8 wreaths of holly,

7 Poinsettia,

6 gingerbread men,

5 candy canes!

4 snow globes,

3 nutcrackers,

2 Christmas scenes,

And thank 1 reindeer named Rudy.

December was another unpredictable month. But the art show must go on, and thank Heavens for Zoom. I taught some classes live and others by Zoom, and my students did an incredible job with their art.

At first I planned to show 12 Ugly Christmas Sweaters, 11 Christmas trees, and so on down to 1 Rudolph. But I have so much great art to share, so I am not limiting what I show to the numbers in the lyrics.

Here are some of my Kindergartener’s snowmen:










First graders made delightful drawings of Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer:











Second grade drew wreaths of holly (a plant that is not easy to draw for most 7-year-olds):



 








Third graders drew cheerful trees in candy cane frames:







Fourth graders did poinsettia drawings:








Fifth grade rocked it with detailed, imaginative gingerbread houses:










Sixth grade made snow globe drawings:







Some seventh graders drew nutcrackers and most drew Ugly Christmas Sweaters:










My eighth graders drew Ugly Christmas Sweaters, as well. While describing the project I commented that “ugly” seems a bit harsh. These sweaters are festive! Spirited! Jolly! To inspire them, I wore my Ugly Festive Christmas Sweater (decorated by me, of course) during Zoom. I jumped to show them that I have real jingle bells on my sweater. I took their silence as awe-filled amazement. 


Here's what those energetic teens created:











If you have a minute I’ll share a few fun pieces of Christmas trivia:

Q: How tall is the tallest snowman ever made?

A: In 2008 two men in Austria created Riesi, the world’s largest snowman (122’ tall).

That's a person on his head!

Q: How many snow globes is in the world's largest collection?

A: In 2000 Wendy Suen broke the record by owning 2,059 snow globes.

Q: What is the record for the number of people making snow angels simultaneously?

A: It was 8,937 people in 2007 in North Dakota.


Here are all those people making snow angels...

And that wraps up our student art projects for 2020. Thanks for reading (and singing) along.

May your holidays be as sweet as a gingerbread house and as cozy as the most festive Christmas sweater.

Here’s to a healthy and safe 2021.

Now where’s my Santa hat? It was right here a minute ago…


20 comments:

  1. That Grinch sweater is my favorite!!! So festive, thanks for sharing, Sar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, isn't it fun? The kids were super imaginative...Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Brad, didn't those 4th graders do a super job?! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. The detail in the fourth gingerbread house is just amazing.
    It looks like part of the town is up on a mini mesa top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--I know what you mean. And that girl just imagined that part herself--no prompting from me, so she really ran with it. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. All of this is absolutely delightful and fills me with Christmas JOY! Thanks so much for the cute video/song and for all the fantastic artwork. You have some truly budding artists at all grade levels, and I love the sense of humor many show. They must get it from their teacher!! Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debby, thanks! You're always making my day with your support. I was completely wowed by what they made.

      Delete
  5. Yay for xmas art! Your video issue reminds me of an accounting class where we had to submit a group project presenting our findings when we reviewed two competing businesses...we too had to create a youtube page. Your content is a billion times more interesting. Merry Merries! and Happy Happies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey friend, oh, I'm so glad you liked it and can relate to the file size/youtube issue. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow!!! So great! Loved the whole "Twelve Days of Christmas" song with your students art work! Fun, and creative! I loved ALL of the pieces of art work, but I think my favorites were the ugly sweaters, the gingerbread houses, the poinsettias, and the snow globes. But all were well drawn, charming, and SO reflective of Christmas, and the Christmas spirit! Some really EXCELLENT young artists, there! Also, liked your own decorated sweater, and loved your u-tube video! I DID sing along! Fun! Good job! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, thanks so much. I'm glad you sang along!! These kids always amaze me with what they create. I'm so lucky.

      Delete
  7. I love the snowglobes. Do you think we could start a collection of them on our windowsill? Super cool as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aren't they cute? We traced around bowls to get a circle and from there the kids just went for it.

      Delete
  8. Such a fun read the night before Christmas—you have some seriously amazing artists in your classes. Glad the zooms are going well! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, thank you, friend! I am super proud of the kiddos...

      Delete
  9. As ever Sarah - I love them all - but, I am especially partial to the poinsettias (aligns to curriculum I have used) and ugly sweaters (cuz they continue to be hilarious).

    Love you and all that you do with your kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! Oh wow, thank you. So glad you loved the art. And who doesn't love ugly sweaters?!?!?

      Delete
  10. Love all the art, but those Christmas sweaters are my favorite! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adri, I love them, too. It's fun to get to really let loose with a project like that.

    ReplyDelete