Friday, October 29, 2021

The Art Room is Haunted

Well, did that get your attention? Good. Actually, I am not a believer in ghosts, but I am a believer in ghost-themed Halloween art! Here are some of my students’ latest projects. We did a lot of art this month and it was hard to narrow down which pieces to show. Settle in, because it’s a collection!

My Kindergarten students made three Halloween art projects this month. I told them they could add details, and they delivered!


Yes, my lashes are real...

Hieroglyphic pumpkin...


 The lesser-known punk rock graffiti pumpkin:








First grade has been busy with two different collage creations: Jack-o-lanterns and Spooky Night Scenes. I love it when a student brings something from their own life into their art. Jorge added glasses to his jack-o-lantern (below, right), that look like his glasses.














Second grade made collages by tracing their handprints to create ghosts, and adding details to their night scenes.





Not your garden variety ghost. This one has major personality.

Third grade created Haunted house scenes with watercolor painted skies, which contributes to a moody look.




Isn't this sky fantastic? Moody and stormy and expressive.

Fourth graders have been making haunted pumpkin patch drawings. Kids this age have great imaginations. Some are so passionate about the details that I feared they still would be working on Halloween art at Thanksgiving. Luckily, they completed their art in time, no doubt inspired by my encouragment to "Finish this now--or else!" 






Fifth grade made haunted house scenes, adding visual texture to their skies, and I love the effect. This is similar to third grade’s scenes, but with skies done in marker. After the paint water flood caused by third grade, I suddenly recalled how very messy it is to paint with kids and I felt the universe telling me to have fifth grade color their skies with markers. (Alternate title for this post: I Survived A Paint Project with Third Graders.)






Seventh grade created 3-D haunted houses. It was fun to do something more sculptural, and I like how the houses look. They folded, glued, cut, and added extra touches to create these scenes. One seventh grader started putting glue onto the wall, but that didn’t qualify as an “extra touch” in my book. So much personality, these teens have…  



Sixth grade is doing a new project I will share next month, but I also have a few more still life scenes from our September project to share. These kiddos were not finished with their still life drawings when I posted in September, so consider this Part 2 for that project.







8th graders also had a few late submissions with their still life drawings, and they’re too good not to share: 






It’s been fun to share my students’ spooky art with you but I must go. Halloween is approaching fast, and my cauldron needs stirring…


10 comments:

  1. As always, these are AWESOME! Love all the different ideas you have for each grade level which are accessible and also challenging. Those watercolor skies were cool (if messy) and the marker ones also were great. Especially loved the 3-D haunted houses!! Poor Bella - can't believe the skunk got her AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing art for Halloween! My favorite was the bat and moon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you do such a great job of giving kids in each level a project that they can handle. It is interesting to see how observant some of them are -- nice spider webs and ghosts.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raynbow, thank you! I try my best and I appreciate that you noticed...

      Delete
  4. Turned out great! I love when kids do art projects. Nothing better than watching those wheels turn in that imaginative head of theirs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adri, I agree. Thanks, friend!

      Delete
  5. These kids are so creative! But the art projects you provide, them, are also creative! You provide wonderful projects, to bring out their artistic ideas, skills, and expressiveness! Great! I loved everything- the hand ghosts, the haunted houses, (both 3-d and not), the haunted pumpkin patches. All, so amazingly good! I loved the bright yellow windows of the haunted houses. Such a nice, bright contrast against the darker colors in the scenes! I loved the very scary human qualities of the pumpkins in the haunted pumpkin patches, as they were "on the move." Remind me to stay out of THOSE pumpkin patches on Halloween night, and out of those haunted houses! Your student artists have SUCH imaginations! I loved it all! Still life's were also good. Good job to both students and teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, thank you! So glad you liked everything. You always give such detailed feedback. :)

      Delete