Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Transitions

 


New pink erasers. The smell of crayons. Full bottles of Elmers glue. Yes, school is in again. This fall, however, is different from the others. I am not gearing up to teach art to kids, as I have every fall for the last seven years. I wanted to explain, because my blog has included a lot of kids’ art over the years.

I had no plans to stop teaching art at the private school where I taught part-time for seven years. Teaching became part of my identity, and I loved watching my students discover their creative sides.

In July, my boss told me that he needed someone to run a new art program during after-care at school. It would be for two hours each day, after school. He did not want to hire someone else to do afternoons, while I kept my Wednesday teaching schedule. I suggested various compromises, but he wanted one teacher rather than two.

It was a hard decision, but ultimately, I chose to step away. The school is sixteen miles away, and I felt it would be a lot for me to create new lessons, drive to school, set up, teach for two hours, clean up, and repeat the next day. My youngest just started a new school and isn’t old enough to drive, so the school pick up time would conflict with my teaching after school. It’s just a different schedule than what worked so well for my family, and so I am stepping back. I will miss my students so much, but I will keep in touch with some of the families. I hope the kids will remember me and know that their teacher cared.

I liked being part of a team of teachers, working together toward a common goal. Earlier in my career, I painted murals, usually alone. While I like solitude, one needs balance. It felt so good to be part of a group, to make a difference with kids.

When you are a teacher, especially of little kids, you become part of their world. It’s a sacred bond. In addition to creating art projects, I put Band-Aids on ouchies. I comforted crying kids who felt left out. I gave teenagers life advice about believing in themselves. It was so much more than a job. So, I am mourning this loss. Each day I feel both happy and sad emotions. My family and friends have made sure I laugh each day, but it’s a struggle to make sense of all this. I’m choosing to write about this here on my blog because we bond when we share our true feelings, when someone tells us their stories. I’m not looking for pity, but I’m also not ashamed to admit how hard this loss is. 

Obviously, there are much bigger problems in the world than where I work. I’m lucky that I have a choice about where I work, because many people do not. But when you give your heart to your job and your students, and when that changes without warning, it’s difficult to accept.

My current plan is to work another part-time job, but not in a classroom. Because I have a degree in art but not a teaching credential, it limits where I can teach. I’m not ready to start teaching somewhere new, because I’m still mourning the loss of this position, and I miss these kids. But in the future, I may be back in the classroom again and blogging about kids’ art. I have a few ideas about what’s next, but I want to make a thoughtful choice, not a quick decision, so I’m mulling things over first…

I had two special moments recently, when I was plein air painting around town. A little girl came up to me with her mom and I explained to her what I was doing. She was too shy to talk to me, but I enjoyed our time together. Here is the Craftsman house I was painting. 


I told her I thought the house looked like it was hidden behind trees and that it reminded me of a fairy tale because the house felt mysterious, like a secret. Later, once she was home, across the street, she waved at me from her living room window, again and again.

A few days later, two young boys and their dad walked by my easel. I was midway through painting a yucca tree. I liked the contrast between the pure white of the yucca flowers and the crisscrossing of the dark power lines.



Upon seeing my canvas, the older one smiled and said, “Oh, it’s the same tree right there!” It boosted me to talk with them. These moments reinforced how much I love being around kids.

This blog will continue, as I post about my own art adventures, doing plein air painting around San Diego. I want to do more public art, so there may be posts about that, too. There are still stories to tell and color to bring to the world, even if student art will not be the focus for now.

Here are a few photos of what I’ve been up to this summer. My summer took an unexpected turn, but I tried to find happiness each day, watching sunsets, painting outdoors, and walking in nature.


1970s Schwinn Stingray Fastback





Painter's Point, La Jolla, CA



The Rady Shell at Jacob's Park, downtown San Diego

Thank you for reading and for your positive feedback all these years, as I took my first tentative steps as a teacher and grew to love what I did. You’ll see me here again before too long, bringing stories of art and creativity. Until then, thanks for being here. Be safe and find some joy.

 


31 comments:

  1. GO, Sara! Keep on painting around town and near kids.
    A new job will find you. ~ Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, thank you. I will do my best...

      Delete
    2. I know teaching art again will be in your future! You are amazing and so passionate!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Sarah, I was crying while reading this. You expressed your pain and also your hopes so beautifully! And I agree totally with Ray. Love that kids have come up to you and asked about your painting - definitely a sign!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, thank you, thank you, thank you. You've given me such positive feedback all these years, and it means a lot.
      XOXOXO

      Delete
  3. Sara, Your students will remember you and the gift of creativity that you opened up for them. I hope you enjoy your break from teaching ( wishing your school could have been more flexible for you and your family) and I’m confident that you’ll be back in the classroom eventually when the right position comes up. Meanwhile, your paintings inspire me to look more carefully at the world. Please keep posting! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, wow, thank you so much. Since you were a teacher, I know you understand that connection with kids. It's so hard to lose, but your encouragement helps.

      Delete
  4. Dear Sarah, Your paintings are beautiful. You are so talented. Something good is around the next bend in the road. I look forward to seeing more of you artwork and reading you blog. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Painting has been a real therapy for me!

      Delete
  5. What's that old saying. . .When God closes a door, he opens a window. I love seeing what you're seeing (and painting) through that new window! Hopefully another teaching job will find you, but for now, I love this new path you're on. Keep'em coming. Big hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica. You taught me so much when I was your student, and it's been very satisfying to pay it forward. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're writing about this, and am glad we had a chance to talk about it in person. I know how deeply you loved your job, but I can't wait to see/read about more of your "random" interactions with kids and art. You've always been expert and putting art out there for all to enjoy and engage with, you'll just be doing it in a new (but quintessentially Sar) way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - That anonymous post is from Maia...

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, M. Your support helps!

      Delete
  7. As I said before, you will land on your feet. I can fully understand the tough decision you were forced to make. It may sound like a cliche, but present negatives in our life can often result in an eventual positive. May God comfort and bless you and your family during this difficult time, as you move on to the next chapter in your life and career. You have touched so many young lives at Saint Rose of Lima, and that is a priceless legacy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rush, thanks so much. I appreciate the support! I will keep you posted...

      Delete
  8. Sarah, thanks so much for sharing your student art all these years. I look forward to seeing your own art and loved these. The one on the sidewalk with the power lines gave me such a warm feeling. And the Rady Shell was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also of the opinion that the kids will never forget you. Is it naughty that I hope you're a super hard act to follow, as it were? I love love love seeing your work and hope the mini interactions are a soothing balm to you. You are so wonderful and I'm cheering you on over here hoping the next adventure (because really, teaching of any kind ends up being one) comes and sweeps you gently into its folds and you continue to share what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, grazie mille! I love how you put that--beautiful words and you are a beautiful soul!

      Delete
  10. Hi Sarah, I always enjoy seeing your beautiful art as well as your students’ art. You are full of creativity and joy in everything you create. God has a plan for you. Enjoy your plain air painting around town while waiting for your next opportunity to work with kids! Wishing you the best! Hugs, Elaine S

    ReplyDelete
  11. *plein (have to watch out for auto correct!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah, I always enjoy seeing your art and your students’ art. You have so much creativity and joy in everything you create! God has a plan for you. Enjoy plein air painting around town while waiting for your next opportunity to work with kids. Wishing you the best! Hugs, Elaine S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, thanks! I definitely will keep painting--it's been super therapeutic.

      Delete
  13. I loved your blog post. It brought tears to my eyes. You express so eloquently your love of teaching and the sorrow and pain you feel losing this job you loved where you built meaningful connections with children while inspiring their creativity and self-expression. I especially enjoyed the stories of your interactions with children while doing plein air painting over the summer. Please keep painting and posting. I enjoy reading about and seeing what you are up to. - Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rox. I really appreciate that! Putting words to my feelings has been helpful as I try to process this. XOXOXO

      Delete
  14. Oh, Sarah. I'm sorry this happened. But it just means you are meant for another adventure. It's time to make your impact elsewhere and it will reveal it's self when it's ready for you. You are an amazing person and those kids will NOT forget you. I can't wait to see what you do next! And those paintings are beautful. You definitely are gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sad for you, Sarah. I'm sure your students are going to miss you dearly. Some changes are very hard. I hope this next chapter in your life will bring peace, joy and welcome adventure! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring, thank you! It has been hard, but support like yours has helped...

      Delete