Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fiber Arts (May 3, 2011)

Did you paint your vegetables today?


I did.


Some Napa cabbage I had in the veggie drawer didn’t make it. We ate at least half of it but I forgot the other half was there and I discovered that something was growing on it. Off to the composter. But wait! Eureka! I realized that I needed to dip my toe further into the vegetable painting world. (I’d experimented with using cabbage stems and celery stalk stems as stamps before but there was more experimenting to be done.)

If you’ve ever really looked at vegetable stems, you’ve noticed the stem is packed with fun shapes. The parts closest to the stem are the densest parts, and there are twists and turns and squiggles and rosettes as the stalk becomes a leaf.


I found it fascinating how intricate the folds and twists of the stem are.





The paint shows how many parts are within the stem. I experimented with stamping the bigger parts of the stem, as well as the small parts, which created rosettes half an inch wide.




Remember your parents telling you not to play with your food? Well, this project is proof that playing with food is okay! Maybe if kids dipped a cross-section of cabbage into pasta sauce and made prints on their plate, they would be more excited about eating their vegetables. See, kids? Fiber is fun!




























































No comments:

Post a Comment