Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fence Fabulous! (Jan. 24, 2012)

Six months ago I decided our fence needed accessories. It’s a plain fence and by mid-July the pretty lilies below it had dried into sagging brown stalks, which I got sick of looking at and ripped out. The yucky dead plants were gone but now that part of the yard looked lifeless.
(See how drab this area is with no color?)




Enter accessories. I bought a piece of 1” plywood, cut it into two equal pieces, and started painting. I was desperate for some color to break up this long, drab fence. Nature scenes seemed a fun idea so I painted a Monarch butterfly and a ladybug. I could already picture how the bright colors of paint would pop behind the lilies, once they grew back. While I waited for the lilies to return, at least I had two colorful spots on the fence, which broke it up a bit and brought life to the yard.



The lilies started growing in December and now their dark orange blooms are coming out. There are tons of them, and they’re so pretty. My photos don’t do justice to the intensity of their color. My art and the lilies look great together, if I may say so.












A lot of results for only a little effort. It took a mere $5 in materials and only about two hours to paint and install everything.



Oh, and six months to wait for the lilies to come in.











No comments:

Post a Comment