Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Through the Eyes of a Child

I want to share a darling drawing by our middle child, who loves art. It’s a religious scene, through the eyes of someone almost 7-years-old. Usually I don’t get into religion with people. I find it a very personal subject, not one up for public debate. I don’t want to be on the receiving end of religious speeches, nor am I interested in giving them. But this art work is so adorable, and captures a child’s innocence, so I will share it. As a side note, one of my favorite parts about kids’ art is that kids often don’t worry about the end result. They make art because they have a need to create. They aren’t worried about perspective, shading or realism, so the pure joy they have in creating shines through. They are spontaneous and passionate in the doing, rather than self-conscious about the final outcome.



I love the details: the animals, the angel, Mary's eyelashes. How cute to see the big gold trophy the king brings for the baby!


As a child I drew for hours each day, and it was my biggest love. These days I sometimes get lost in the doing but other times I’m too focused on whether the outcome will be realistic enough or _____ enough. This preoccupation takes away from the freedom to just do. When I see art by kids I see their bliss. The beauty of their art is in their freedom. I love their joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment