Monday, January 27, 2014

Lookout Spot Ahead

 


On January 27, 2009 I began my blog. Today I am beginning my sixth year of blogging. I love anniversaries of significant events. Anniversaries are the equivalent of Scenic View signs on the freeway or on a twisty mountain road: they suggest the need for a pause. They recommend that I look out over where I’ve been since I started.


Blogging began as a way to share my quirky thoughts with others. My blog was a spot where I could share whatever was on my mind: funny things, observations about life, and whatever else popped up. Sometimes I shared photos of things I’d made, or posed unanswered questions. I’m not as “bare all” in my blog as some people are, but I do share personal thoughts and feelings. I like having a way to show others (near and far) pieces from my life.

Five years ago I knew very little about creating a blog. I’ve taught myself some things along the way, although I don’t profess to be fluent in computer language. I wonder if I’ll blog regularly five years from now. I wonder how my life will have changed in that time. Will my blog be more tutorial-based, more about making things? Or will it me more autobiographical, and less instructional? Who knows?

2013 was a hard year but I got through it. I realized recently that I’m becoming more comfortable with not knowing what is ahead. Surviving hidden surprises has made me a bit better at rolling with the unexpected. That’s what I see when I look back over the last year. You see that kind of thing when you pause to look back over where you’ve been.

Who knows what my blog will morph into over time? I don’t. And that’s okay. You can’t plan everything ahead of time, and sometimes the unexpected parts end up being the ones with the most meaning…

No comments:

Post a Comment