Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Wacky Wednesday #37—Poinsettias



Poinsettia flowers are a symbol of the Christmas season and as you can see, I am wearing poinsettias today. You can buy artificial ones but I wanted to make my own, of course. I made five poinsettias: two tiny ones as earrings, one for my head, one for my front and one for my back. Here’s what I used: felt, foam, sparkly foam, hot glue, pipe cleaners, permanent marker, buttons and beads. Throw on red rights, skirt and shirt (which I had already). Total cost: less than $5.


Did you know that what look like pointy red petals are actually leaves? The flowers are the tiny yellow center of the plant. I was surprised. If you happen to play Trivial Pursuit over the long holiday weekend and a question involving poinsettia flowers comes up, you’ll know the answer. I’m always happy to help, of course. If you win the game because of my fact about poinsettias, and you feel a strong need to name a star after me in gratitude, I won’t argue.



These plants were named after Joel Roberts Poinsett, a botanist who introduced the plant to the U.S. in 1825. I’d been aware of how popular poinsettias are this time of year, but over the last month (as plans for today’s outfit simmered in the back of my mind) I saw poinsettias everywhere. I saw them in stylized renditions online. I saw them in stores. Suddenly, it was a poinsettia-filled world.

Have you realized that my costume coincides with the Poinsettia Bowl football game in San Diego today? Sheer genius, eh? Well, in truth, I had no idea that this bowl game was scheduled for today, in the city where I live, so if you insist on proclaiming my brilliance, I’ll modestly shake my head. But if you really insist, I can’t stop you!

Whichever holiday you’re celebrating this month, may it be happy, safe and filled with laughter.




12 comments:

  1. My xMIL would fight you for that outfit :). She loves poinsettias. I was totally expecting a santa outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! We actually do have a Santa outfit (I wore the coat over the rest of my outfit when we went out late this afternoon and it was cold). But I wanted the challenge of making poinsettias...Merry Christmas, friend!

      Delete
  2. The head piece is so detailed great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally, thanks! I figure I might as well add some cool details and 3-d elements to what I make. It makes it look more exciting and realistic. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Very fashionable. Has a lovely 1940s feel to it. 😊👍🎄☃

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes very retro and fashionable, I like i!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Merry Christmas, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really quite beautiful, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Adri! The flowers made it easy to create something festive...

    ReplyDelete