Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Two-Room Makeover = Stress Times Two Million!

In through the nose. Out through the mouth. In. Out. My nose and mouth are joined in an effort to breathe calmly because the rest of me is in panic mode. I just started something that feels more daunting than scaling Mt. Kilimanjaro. We are switching the contents of two rooms in our house. If I survive it When we’re finished it will be worth it. Switching the rooms will involve setting up the bunk bed I got off of Craigslist last week, and our youngest finally will have somewhere to sleep. But getting there is overwhelming.

Starting the process conjures up memories of the last time we moved (ten years ago as of next month). That was overwhelming, and that was before the kids (and all their stuff) came along. Kids come into the world naked but they manage to accrue a lot of stuff over the years. We don’t even buy much stuff, so the mountains of stuff in the house are especially bewildering. Some things were gifts and some were hand-me-downs other kids had outgrown. Point is, we have way too much stuff.

Here’s the plan: we empty one room so that we can rip up the carpet, lay down laminate and then make a bedroom into a home office before we rip up the former office carpet, lay down laminate and make it into a bedroom. Oh, if only I could twitch my nose like Samantha from Bewitched and have the two rooms instantly swap contents. ‘Fraid not.

You’ve never known me to do things the easiest way, have you? It seems this project is no exception.

Surveying the contents of one room, I became very overwhelmed by the whole thing (where to start? How to start?). It was then that I decided a blogging break was necessary.

This is going to be some real work. You may not see or hear from me much in the next few weeks. If you haven’t spotted me by September, could someone send a search unit?

No comments:

Post a Comment