Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Happy Stuff--Poppies

It’s April first, and it’s raining in San Diego. This is not an April Fool’s Day joke. It really is raining here!


This is ironic because our sunny city was shorts-weather warm all winter (yes, our tough Southern California winters) and now that it’s officially spring, it’s pants weather and raining. Wacky.

Today’s happy element could be that my plants are getting a gigantic drink of water, and will be inspired to bloom like crazy in the next week. But for my Happy Stuff post today, I will share a photo taken on a sunny morning a few days ago.
 
 
These poppies were growing out of a crack in the pavement. They surprised me, which always adds to the happy factor. And they’re such a sign of hope. I love that plants can and do grow under surprising circumstances. All they need is a pinch of dirt, sun and a few drops of water. They are resilient that way. Sometimes we humans (me included!) overthink everything and worry that the conditions aren’t quite right and we fret over details. Not plants. They see an opportunity and they start running with it. I love their hardiness. Go, poppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment